'Decant' - reviews and interviews

On Sunday morning I chatted to Jayne Cheeseman on her program Rockin' the Suburbs, FBi radio 94.5FM. We talked about my residency and exhibition at Fairfield City Museum and Gallery, and some of the other suburban and out of town projects that I've worked on over the past few years. 
You can listen to the program at www.fbiradio.com/program/sunday-overhang > 9/3/14.


~


Kath Fries and her installation 'Decant'
March 2014, photo Tim Clapin


Frances Sacco interviewed me at the gallery last Monday and there was a hilarious photo-shot with photo-journalist Tim Clapin. I was directed to lie down on the floor and pose amongst my installation - I struggled to contain my giggles and that resulted in these smiley in these photos that appeared, along with a little write up about my show, in this week's local paper.


Interview with Frances Sacco, Fairfield Advance
March 2014, Source: News Limited (link to webpage)

~

"This comprehensive installation by Kath Fries at Fairfield City Museum and Gallery combines archival collection with artistic invention. By casting unfired clay multiples from two Chinese ewer fragments sourced from the museum’s permanent collection, Fries not only highlights the effect of time and preservation in ascribing value to everyday objects, but also challenges the notion of permanence and truth when dealing with historical artefacts. What is especially appealing is Fries’ considered treatment of the materials. Through the intimacy of digital projections and the repurposing of vines and natural fibres, the installation becomes almost biblical. By reimagining local histories, the collective mythologies of floods, human displacement and the decay of clay vessels goes beyond a literal reading of history and transforms the museum’s artefacts into art." 
Sydney Art Blog 


Sydney Art review of Decant
http://sydneyart.me/2014/03/15/kath-fries-decant-fairfield-city-museum-and-gallery/